Not in Asia anymore

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Welcome to the New Year : Holidays in Taiwan


Since last time, I have three big events and three big albums.

(1) Christmas show at school.
This was an insane amount of work but it was also really really fun. It's the most arts and crafts and singing I've done in a long long time. I'm thinking... summer camp? And it had that feel too. Tons of fun for me and the kids. Also, I couldn't have been any prouder of my kids. They really delivered the kids and were absolutely fantastic. Check out the pictures--they were super impressive.

(2) Christmas itself was a minor production. It's not really celebrated in Taiwan, and I didn't have time off. In fact, I worked an extra 10 hour day that Saturday before (Christmas show). But, one really cool thing: Two guys from Chapel Hill came to Taiwan and stopped in Hsinchu to visit. I didn't know them that well before, but we had an awesome weekend, where I introduced them to the joy of Taiwanese pubs, country scooter rides, and the local hospital. Let's just say there was a minor scooter accident and a few stitches. Not to worry, it was cool. Health care in Asia is extremely efficient: minimal paperwork, wait time, fees--all the things health care should be. Though it was funny when the nurse looked at my friend Josh who had a gaping gash in his chin dripping blood and told me, "Please ask your friend where it hurts." Anyway, thanks for coming David and Marc! come again anytime. There's plenty of room.

(3) New Year's in Hong Kong--

don't know why I didn't think about this before I went, but Hong Kong was insanely crowded. Like... I've never known such a thing. We basically flew to Hong Kong to stand in lines for three days. You might think I"m exaggerating, but I promise, I"m only a little. Even for the actual countdown, we were in line. That said, Hong Kong was impressive in its social organization and cleanliness. Special Economic Zone is right--hardly mainland China. Anyways, it was a really fun couple of nights, and we met a bunch of er... overly-friendly Englishmen, Germans, French, a Swiss, and an awesome Filipino bartender. The view from the top of Victoria Peak is also too unbelievable for words and the pictures hardly do it justice. If you can... go to Hong Kong and see it for yourself. Just a word of caution--the lines are killer long.

OK--enjoy the pictures everyone! And hope 2007 is off to a smashing start for all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home